The Mississippi State Bulldogs (9-7 overall, 4-4 SEC) tangle with the Tennessee Volunteers (10-3, 4-3) in a Tuesday night matchup at 7 p.m. ET at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn. Below, we analyze the Mississippi State-Tennessee college basketball odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
Tennessee is No. 17 in the Ferris Mowers Coaches Poll powered by USA TODAY Sports.
Mississippi State at Tennessee: Odds, spread and lines
- Money line: Mississippi State +400 (bet $100 to win $400) | Tennessee -550 (bet $550 to win $100)
- Against the spread/ATS: Mississippi State +9.5 (-110) | Tennessee -9.5 (-110)
- Over/Under: 127.5 (O: -115 | U: -105)
Mississippi State at Tennessee: Three things to know
- UT dropped to No. 17 in this week’s Coaches Poll after twin losses a week ago. In losses to Florida and Missouri, Tennessee shot just 35.8% from the floor while being out-rebounded, 68-58. The Volunteers also struggled mightily at the free-throw line, going just 25-for-46 (54.3%).
- The Bulldogs scored 78.7 points per game in going 8-2 straight up from Nov. 30-Jan. 9. MSU has been held to just 61.5 PPG while going 1-3 since. Three-point shooting has been a big culprit in the slide: MSU shot a robust 39.5% from distance in the 8-2 stretch; the Bulldogs are at 28.0% from distance over their last four games.
- A ball-hawking Tennessee defense has forced turnovers on 24.6% of opponent possessions. That’s the 17th-best rate among NCAA-I teams. Mississippi State has a forced-turnover percentage of just 18.2% (254th NCAA-I).
Special College Basketball Betting Promotion!
Bet $1 on any college basketball team money line, WIN an additional $100 (in free bets) if ANY team hits a 3-pointer today. Promotion available in CO, IN, MI, NJ, TN and WV. IA and PA residents, don’t miss BetMGM‘s risk-free, first-bet offer!
Mississippi State at Tennessee: Odds, betting lines, predictions and picks
Tennessee 66, Mississippi State 59
Money line (ML)
Consider middling this game, taking Tennessee on the ML and Mississippi State with the points, if you can get a Vols -500 tag. If not, PASS.
Against the spread (ATS)
MSU was leading or within 6 points of Alabama in a hard-fought road game Saturday against the No. 8 Crimson Tide before losing 81-73. That was with Alabama logging a 57.4% effective field-goal mark.
Tennessee has a couple of young guards dinged up: Santiago Vescovi and Jaden Springer are listed as questionable for Tuesday’s game. How much will those two play? And will the Vols be caught looking forward to a high-profile Saturday game with Kansas?
The Bulldogs are just 1-3 ATS in their last three visits to Knoxville, but a 9.5-point spread would be the largest in this series since 2014. Figure on MSU doing enough on the glass to stay within 5-7 points for big chunks of the game. Getting 10 or more points would be preferable, but BULLDOGS +9.5 (-110) has enough bite.
Both teams are in the bottom-75 nationally in pace of play (possessions per contest). The total here doesn’t reflect enough of that or the elite level of UT’s defense. TAKE THE UNDER 127.5 (-105).
Want some action on this one? Place a bet at BetMGM now. For more sports betting picks and tips, visit SportsbookWire.com. Please gamble responsibly.
Follow SportsbookWire on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
Additional college sports coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Alabama / Auburn / Florida / Georgia / LSU / Michigan / Michigan State / Notre Dame / Ohio State / Oklahoma / Tennessee / Texas / USC / Wisconsin
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.