Not a bad weekend last week at Fair Grounds. I do want to correct myself about MAXFIELD. The horse is 4 years old, not 3 and therefor is not eligible for the Kentucky Derby. I was confused by the light number of races the horse has faced; has only run five career starts being put on the shelf for almost months (10/19 to 5/20). This horse is a monster and a shame it missed the Derby trail last year.
Lets look at todays card……..
Race 3 – TURF
- 1 – DONTPUSHYOURLUCK – Irad/Maker. Repole stable horse, first off claim for Maker who is lethal. Definite favorite, but have to use.
- 3 – BLUE KENTUCKY GIRL – Jose/Pletcher. Led almost wire to wire in debut at 1 1/16, cuts back to 5 furlongs. Top 2 with ease.
- 6 – EASY ON THE SUGAR – Gaffalione/Joseph Jr. First time in new barn where trainer hits at 26%. Takes to turf for first try so be a little cautious, but has shown nothing on dirt. May take to it.
Race 7 – TURF
- 2 – ZIPPY BABY – Alvarado/Breen. Produced a solid 75 Beyer last out after the layoff. Should improve off that and that makes this a legit win threat.
- 3 – CHAO – Jose Ortiz/Maker. Maker has two entries in here. This one is off the claim after flying for second last out a 1 mile. Stretches out to 1 ⅙ now. Hope to get 4-1 odds or more.
- 6 – GIRL DAD – Saez/Weaver. Trainer does not bring in many, but this horse has improved huge last two races. Coming in off the maiden win is a concern, but Beyers go up and up with every race and had a 74 last out. Exotics.
Race 8 – DIRT
I read about a horse in here so going to so a dirt race.
- 1 – GHAZAALY – Saez/Pletcher. Shadwell Stables beauty here. Paid $1 million for this son of CURLIN. 71 Beyer in debut and should roll off that effort.
- 3 – QUANTUM LEAP – Vasquez/Wilkes. This is the horse I heard about, son of PIONER OF THE NILE. Has not shown much in two career starts. Finally stretches out to 1 ⅛ miles after two sprint races. Use in exotics at big price. I think if it rains this one will be real good.
- 6 – SWINGMAN – Lanerie/McPeek. Horse can tun all day out of TONALIST. Stretches out for third race and is third race of the form cycle. Should be in top 3 with ease. Hope the odds are decent.
Going to do a pick 5 because the single in race 8 wont affect the price.
- Race 8 – 1
- Race 9 – 6, 7, 9 (if the 13 gets in lets single the 13 ALWAYS MISBEHAVING)
- Race 10 – 1, 3, 4, 5, 8
- Race 11 – 3, 7
- Race 12 – 2, 4, 5, 7
Just going to throw this out there as an ALSO ELIGIBLE based on the 13 getting in race 9.
- Race 9 -13 (if he gets in)
- Race 10 – ALL
- Race 11 – 7
- Race 12 – ALL
Good luck and thanks for horse racing with Dietz!